Ever hear of the saying that goes “keep your friends close but your adversaries closer”?
This is a typical case of a good SEO Competitor Analysis. Having good knowledge of your competitor’s efforts online will give you valuable insights on what you can do to improve your ranking over them. You get to see what they are doing that works and what they aren’t doing that you can build on.
What is SEO Competitor Analysis?
Competitor analysis is a marketing and strategic process that aims to assess the strengths and weaknesses of an organization. The goal of this process is to identify offensive as well as defensive opportunities and threats to an organization by its competitors.
Using this process to build a profile for an organizations competition is a sound and must do corporate strategy and should not be overlooked.
Why do you need an SEO Competitor Analysis?
- Industry or Niche Benchmarking – Having multiple selected Competitor Profiles gives you an average to benchmark current relevance related to industry standards. With this in mind you have a set record to beat if you want to stand out in the market and be among the top on SERP.
- Learn their Strengths and Weaknesses – This is finding out what your competitors do and try to do it better while knowing their weakness give you areas to exploit and gain advantage over those areas.
- Strategic Advantage – Using the right SEO Competitor Analysis Tools, you can identify what your competitor is doing that works and see vantage points where they are lacking and leverage on it to gain more relevance.
How to Perform Competitor Analysis Using SEO Tools
Here we will look at how to use some tools to see who the best competitors are and the efforts they use to get there.
- Identifying your Competitors
The very first step is finding out who your competitors are relative to the priority keywords for your niche. In others words who will show at the top when your prospective clients are searching for products and services like yours.
Using the native Google Search page you can run a search using a selected keyword list and see who pops up among the top 5.
- Do a Backlink Analysis
Head over to Moz.com and use their free Link Explorer tool to find out what websites are linking to your competitors. This is very valuable information as you can also link your site to these websites noting the ones that have more than one competitors linking to them. Creating guest post for multiple competitor linked sites has a higher success rate than sites linked by a single competitor.
- Know their Keywords
In SEMrush search bar, enter your competitors URL and search. Using the “Organic Research section”, click on the “Positions” tab, this will show what keywords your competitors are ranking for and you can build a list you can exploit.
- Check for Keyword Density
Finding out the keyword density lets you know how competitive these keywords are and how you can strategically use them in your own placement.
Using a free tool called Keyword Density Analysis Tool at InternetMarketingNinjas.com; you can enter a URL and see a detailed list for your competitor’s keywords.
- Check for Keyword Difficulty
Keywords with high difficulty keyword scores require more link building and are generally tougher to rank for. You can find keyword difficulty score for a keyword with Ubersuggest SEO Tool.
- Analyze On-Page Optimization
This should enable you learn how frequent your competitors are publishing content, the types of content and what keywords they’re targeting with these content types.
Some things to look out for include:
- Headline strategies
- Content or media types.
- Video length or word count.
- Other relevant Factors
Going further to find out efforts put in by competitors helps in giving a broader picture on what they are doing to gain their rank and relevance. Other factors to check can include:
- Social Media Leverage
- Site Structure and Design
- Google My Business Listing
A good SEO competitor analysis is a continuous process and takes effort to stay abreast with what they are doing. Keep tabs on your competitors and make improvement to your platforms where necessary and in a little while you’ll start appearing among the top on the list for SERPs.
At Crank Digital we are always glad to help put you improve your search ranking and put you in the eyes of your prospects when they come looking. We hope you enjoyed this read, leave us a comment and make sure to checkout other contents.